Melanie's blog list

Friday, February 11, 2011

Welcome The 2011 Nascar Speedweeks In Daytona Is Here


From Track Side with Melli & Other Stuff
Well, the Superbowl is over and the Pack took home the Lombardi trophy....we are "gearing" up for Nascar's Superbowl The Daytona 500, who will take home the Harley Earl trophy? The field has 43 hopefuls and very very talented drivers.
With the repaving of the 2.56 track I hear it's grippy but there are still some of the "bumps" not sure where they are, but it's still the monster track that started it all 50+ years ago, when the racing was on done on the beach itself, man o man what I would have given to see a race like that and on the beach to boot lol.
This is also the 10 year anniversary of the passing of Dale Earnhardt, who died on the last lap on turn four what Dale saw was his new driver Michael Waltrip leading being pushed was his young son Dale Jr. and he was 3rd.
Dale was protecting his cars and his "boys" for the win....when the unthinkable happened. In a blink Dale was gone in an accident that to this day is as vivid as if it happened yesterday. The out pouring of grief was nothing like I've ever seen.
This will be a day I will always remember as I was watching the race when he crashed...and I remember what I was doing on 09-11....I watched the Challenger explode right there in front of me on TV and I remember my 5Th grade teacher walk back in our classroom after being called out by Mr. Pringle (principle) to tell his very young students that President John Kennedy had been shot and killed in Dallas TX.
So, to say that this Speedweeks to the Daytona is special is an understatement it's HUGE.
Ciao for now and stay tuned

No comments: